“Will my solar system still work if the sun isn’t shining?”
Did you know that Africa enjoys 51% of Earth’s most concentrated sunlight, leaving the rest of the world to share the remaining 49%? Kenya receives receives insolation of 4-6 kWh/m2 – daily. Which is why for most Kenyans, using the abundant sunshine to power your home and heat your water makes so much sense.
But despite the growing popularity of solar (hundreds of thousands of smart Kenyans homes already have solar panels or solar water heaters on their rooftops!), there’s one question we’re often asked; “Will my solar system still work if the sun isn’t shining?”
Did you know that Africa enjoys 51% of Earth’s most concentrated sunlight, leaving the rest of the world to share the remaining 49%?
The short answer is yes, Residential Solar Power Installations in Kenya will still work under cloudy conditions.. In this article, we will explore how solar still works to reduce your energy consumption and carbon emissions even on cloudy or rainy days. Let’s start with solar power for homes in Kenya before we move to solar water heating.
Will my solar power panels work on cloudy or rainy days?
Solar power panels still work on cloudy days. According to The Environment and Energy Study Institute in the USA, even in partly cloudy weather, solar cells could still operate at 80% of their maximum output. Because solar panels can use direct and indirect sunlight to generate power they will still work when the light is reflected or partially blocked by clouds.
Meanwhile, rainy weather can also help to keep your panels operating efficiently by washing away any dust or dirt. However, if it’s consistently cloudy for several days, the efficiency of the solar panels may be reduced as there are less particles of light available to create a high flow of electricity.
Many Kenyans are also choosing to add a home battery to their solar power and store the energy they’ve generated throughout the day, for use later on. It’s a smart way to offset your electricity costs and maximize your solar energy usage.
Does solar hot water work on cloudy or rainy days?
A solar water heater will still deliver hot water on cloudy and wet days.
While clouds may filter out some of the brightness, the majority of sunlight still gets through. So if you have solar hot water collectors on your rooftop, rest assured, they’re still working to produce hot water even on those wet and cloudy days.
However, continuous days of cloudy weather can sometimes reduce the efficiency of your solar water heater. Fortunately, our Solar Water Heating Systems have a backup available to ensure you can still enjoy instant hot water when the sun isn’t shining. Jesaton Solar Water Heaters come with an inbuilt electric booster. This means that as soon as the water temperature drops below a certain level, the booster element kicks in and heats the water to the correct temperature.
We can help you select the right solar power system for your home that will last you for decades to come, and our experienced technicians will ensure you get a quality install. Contact us via email today or call +254 715020605to learn more about how we can help you power your home from the sun!